Monday, February 6, 2012

On Ladies of Leisure

A Southern Lady writes on the character of some of her peers


“I see so many dear, sweet little women in the world, who slept their early youth away and eat [sic] sugar plums; who passed through the ordeal of boarding schools, certainly no wiser, perhaps worse than when they entered; who spent the days of their girlhood as they did their money - on useless objects, taking no account of either - who had had fortunes spent on their education, and were yet in the most heavenly state of ignorance, with out on developed talent or idea except that of dancing la valse a` deux temps; women who lounge through life, between the sofa and rocking chair with dear little dimpled hands that are never raised except to brush away a fly, who never think of touching anything more solid than a yellow covered novel - many such I see, who are loved and adored by the world, much more than I, who so unworthily judge them; for who on earth, except those at home, and my few friends, ever cared for me?”
“...Leave it to my own doom to decide what becomes of souls who neither do their duty to God, nor serve man on earth!
“...Ah! Who is perfect on earth? Not I, certainly!  But if God would only look in my heart and make and pronounce it good and pure, what would I care what Man thinks of me then?  I can dispense with the love of the world so long as I have our home hearts around me; but if I pleased God in all things, I wonder if the world would love me too?  Can anyone please both Him and man?”
~ Sarah Morgan - from The Civil War Diary of a Southern Woman

No comments: